By Alex Kingsbury US News
Posted: March 21, 2011
Public health officials fear that the outbreak of cholera in Haiti will be much worse than earlier predicted. The Caribbean nation, which was rocked by a devastating earthquake last year, has been grappling with an outbreak of the disease for several months. But initial estimates of 400,000 infections could double, U.S. researchers told a British medical journal. Before the earthquake, the country hadn’t had an outbreak of the disease in more than a century, leading to the widespread belief among Haitians that the pestilence was brought to the island by international aid workers. The true origins of the outbreak are still unclear. The World Health Organization says that more than 250,000 people have already contracted the disease and more than 4,600 have died as of March 10.
4,600 have died.
This is either a simple lie or an indication of ignorance.
The death toll is 20,000 or more.
There is little treatment in the countryside so entire villages simply cease to exist.
With an expected 800,000 infections – possible more since everyone has lied so far – we can lose from 10% to 60% OR more of those contracting the disease, depending upon the level of treatment. Since the level of treatment, in many areas is zero – we are going to lose a lot of people.
300,000 is not impossible.