US: Flaws in death toll report on Haiti quake

June 4, 2011
By `

FILE - In this Jan. 20, 2010 file photo, a woman walks down a devastated street in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, a week after powerful 7.0-magnitude earthquake struck. Far fewer people died or were left homeless by last year's devastating earthquake than claimed by Haitian leaders, a report commissioned by the U.S. government has concluded _ challenging a central premise behind a multibillion-dollar aid and reconstruction effort. The report, a copy of which was obtained Monday, May 30, 2011 by The Associated Press, estimates that the death toll was between 46,000 and 85,000, far below the Haitian government's official figure of 316,000.

By TRENTON DANIEL
Associated Press

Published: Friday, Jun. 3, 2011 – 7:12 pm
Last Modified: Friday, Jun. 3, 2011 – 7:38 pm

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti — Flaws have been found in a controversial U.S. report estimating the death toll from Haiti’s earthquake last year was far lower than previously thought, a U.S. official said Friday.

It was the strongest statement yet by U.S. government officials since a leaked draft report commissioned by the U.S. Agency for International Development raised questions over just how many people died and were displaced in the January 2010 quake, an unparalleled natural disaster that unleashed an outpouring of foreign aid.

Mark Feierstein of the U.S. Agency for International Development said the report is problematic because the authors used a statistical sampling that was not representative. The study didn’t include data from heavily damaged areas in Haiti’s countryside or from the number of houses that collapsed and killed people, he said.

“Those are all serious flaws,” Feierstein, USAID’s assistant administrator for Latin America and the Caribbean, told The Associated Press in a telephone interview.

The report’s lead author, Timothy T. Schwartz, couldn’t be reached for comment Friday.

Based on a statistical sampling from a hard-hit, densely populated section of downtown Port-au-Prince, the study estimates the quake’s death toll was between 46,000 and 85,000, much lower than the figure of 316,000 cited by Haitian authorities.

The report, obtained by AP early in the week, has not been officially released and is under review.

It arose after USAID hired a Washington consulting firm, LTL Strategies, to look at the impact of rubble removal programs so people could move back into their homes. To figure out how many people left their homes, the authors wanted to know how many people died and wouldn’t return.

The report also estimates that up to 895,000 people moved into temporary settlements around the capital after the quake and that no more than 375,000 people are still living in them. The U.N. International Organization for Migration puts those numbers higher: as many as 1.5 million people moved into the camps and 680,000 remain.

Schwartz, an anthropologist long critical of the aid process, posted on his blog Friday that he was eliminated as a candidate for a consulting job for a USAID food program in Haiti.

“The reason has nothing to do with the death count report on which I was lead researcher and that has garnered a lot of media attention,” he wrote. “I’ve been disqualified, it is rumored, because of my critique of food aid.”

The office of outgoing Prime Minister Jean-Max Bellerive, who was in office at the time of the quake, stands by its figures. The administration of newly elected President Michel Martelly declined to comment because the report hasn’t been officially released.

2 Responses to “ US: Flaws in death toll report on Haiti quake ”

  1. MICHAEL COLLINS on June 5, 2011 at

    The report’s lead author, Timothy T. Schwartz is a spiteful piece of garbage who – because he was turned down by USAID, for a job, has written a false and fraudulent report that will cause inestimable damage to the Haitian people and the Nation.

    Schwartz should never have been hired, by USAID, for any project. One hopes that a job applicant would have his background checked. Schwartz had already written a flaky book, attacking every type of operation in Haiti, with little basis in fact. He had already written a lot of stuff attacking USAID in particular.

    The Haiti USAID director, who commisssioned the project, should have checked the guy out.

    Now Schwartz has self-leaked the report, resulting in thousands of articles that question the death toll, or cubic feet/yards of material to be removed….number of people displaced by the 2010 quake…motherhood, and the Church.

    He has effectively given all of the people, nations and organization – who have promised, but not delivered assistance, to rationalize their way out of the commitments.

    People will die because of this criminal’s report.

    But is is really too late to do anything constructive about it.

    The damage is done.

  2. Prosper Senatus on June 5, 2011 at

    Schwartz wrote A Travesty in Haiti and you can see it on Amazon.com

    It looks like he write all of the 5 Star reviews.

    I have read the book and found it to be small-minded and sensationalist in its approach. Very superficial.

    http://www.amazon.com/Travesty-Haiti-Christian-orphanages-trafficking/dp/1419698036