PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti — The manager of an international reconstruction fund says Haiti will use most of the money to rebuild neighborhoods battered in last year’s devastating earthquake.
Josef Leitmann of the Haiti Reconstruction Fund says the new strategy will help move out some of the 634,000 people who live in settlement camps that sprung up following the January 2010 earthquake.
He said Friday that people also will receive loans to help repair homes so authorities won’t have to worry about securing land in the crowded capital of Port-au-Prince.
The World Bank-run group said it has allocated $237 million to pay for 14 reconstruction projects. The amount represents 71 percent of the $335 million given by donors.