Jean-Charles MoïseJean-Charles Moïse, the candidate for the Pitit Dessalin party and one of three challengers to Jovenel Moïse, the winner in the first round of last month’s presidential elections in Haiti, has confirmed that his U.S. visa has been revoked by the U.S. Embassy, so he can no longer travel to the United States.
Moïse nevertheless minimized the impact of the revocation. “As long as a man has not discovered something for which he would be ready to die, he is not able to live.” he said. “Haitian people, as I have always told you, a visa is a courtesy, it does not make me hot or cold. Revoking the visa of Jean-Charles Moïse will not prevent the movement to continue until the end.” However, Moïse did not give the reason for the revocation.
What is known is that Moïse was summoned on Wednesday to the U.S. embassy, where he was told that his five-year visa, which had expired in November and was up for renewal, had been revoked, HaitiLibre reported.
Moïse recently announced plans for a series of demonstrations in front of the American Embassy set for Saturday, Dec. 24, and Thursday, Dec. 29, in protest of the publication of the preliminary results of the elections, though the American ambassador said that the election results were credible. There is no indication, however, that this announcement is related to this revocation of the visa.